Hunting season was so fun this year. We had a really good year. Our general rifle season is only 2 weeks long, but we still made the best of it. Since I'm not working anymore the kids and I went up and stayed for the whole time. I only came home one day to do wash and grab more groceries. The weather was beautiful the whole time. In between hunting the kids and I had fun playing outside, working cows, and just hanging out. Kelly had to work during the week so he was only there on the weekends. My in-laws were there some of the time, and Kelly's grandparents too so there was usually someone to help with the kids. At least Clancy. There were some times that I had to take them both. Those times I did more driving around and spotting. Tyree went with me quite a bit. She loved it so it was hard to sneak out without her. There were a few times we had to get out and walk ( not real far) and she was a trooper. We even got within shooting range of some deer and she did really good, but then she started getting inpatient and I wasn't able to shoot anything. There weren't any big bucks anyway. On the weekends when Kelly was there him and I were able to really go out hunting. I love hunting with my husband. The early morning horseback rides to the top if the mountain are amazing. They definitely bring us closer together and make us remember to enjoy the simple things in life. The first tag filled of the season was Kelly's niece Jessi.
Last year was her first year hunting but she was unsuccessful, so this was her very first deer and she was so excited. After they tagged him they radioed to us so Tyree and I went to help.
The next tag to get filled was Kelly's and boy oh boy it was awesome!
Earlier in the week I had seen a really big buck through the spotting scope but I wasn't able to get close enough. I thought that I had blown it but that weekend Kelly and I were fortunate enough to see him again. Kelly had to make a long shot, and it was good. It was so exciting walking up to see him.
(he rolled into the fence) Kelly couldn't stop smiling.
It was great, we're having him mounted. A hot guy with an amazing buck.
Congrats honey! Now it was my turn. I had hunted, and hunted , and had a few missed opportunities but hadn't filled my tag. Time was running out. I was on my own again and there were only 3 days left. That morning I spotted a nice buck through the spotting scope, but he was a long way away and I had Tyree with me. I knew there was no way I could do it with her. It was going to take some serious hiking. The next morning I went without Tyree, by the time I spotted him I was still to far away and he went back in the trees before I could even get in shooting range. The next morning was the last morning. Fortunately he came out in the same area and I was able to hustle into position. It was still kind of a long shot for me but I've shot that far before so I knew I could do it, and I did. I had to hike uphill to get him, but when I got there I was so excited.
This was the first time I've gotten anything when I was out by myself.
Once I got to him the real work began. Yes I gutted him and drug him off the mountain by myself. It has been a goal of mine to prove to myself that I could do it. I'm glad I was able to accomplish it this year, but I don't want to do it again. It was a lot of work trying to drag him down the hill. This is we're I left him so I could go get the pick up and grandpa to help me load him. 
Anyway it was a great year full of firsts. Jessi's first deer, Kelly's first trophy buck, my first solo hunt, and Clancy's first hunting season.
Make sure you check back for more posts.
Monday, January 12, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You are the coolest ever! I love you and you're family of hunters!
I'll go a little red hen on you. You can shoot and prep the deer, and I'll help you eat it. ;-) Looks like an amazing time.
I am so proud of you. You are amazing! Love you!
I'm still amazed at what a huntress you've become. I never would have imagined that you'd find joy in that past time when we were growing up. Very nice.
Post a Comment